
As part of my third year of medical training I will be spending the next 5 months in Libby, Montana learning about rural medicine. I'll try to post updates about my experiences, people I meet, and places I explore in Northwest Montana.
This year myself and eight of my classmates were selected to participate in the WRITE (WWAMI Rural Integrated Training Experience) program. The idea behind the program is for third year medical students to see what it is like to practice rural medicine with a goal of training future doctors in rural primary care in Washington, Wyoming, Alaska, Montana, and Idaho (WWAMI).
My goal is to spend time training in one area for more than 6 weeks (the length of our typical clinical rotations) so that I can experience continuity of patient care, work closely with a few physicians to develop a mentoring relationship and receive individualized teaching, become part of a community, and learn more about myself and my career goals. I hope to see my knowledge, clinical skills, and confidence accelerate. My time in Libby is not all work and no play: having the opportunity to spend a huge chunk of time exploring the mountains, rivers, and seasons in God's country is the carrot UW dangles out there for restless medical students who can't imagine another gray Seattle semester.
I'd like for this blog to document my time in Libby so that I can share my experiences, thoughts, and personal growth with my family and closest friends. One day I will look back to my entries and reflect not only on the things I learn, but the people and places who will change and shape my life.

No comments:
Post a Comment